How ARESTIN® can help treat the infection
Periodontal bacteria have been infecting your foundation.
Important fads about periodontal disease
- Periodontal disease is the #1 cause of adult tooth loss in the United States.
- This silent infection occurs when harmful bacteria travel beneath the gum line and create "pockets"-spaces or gaps in the gums around the teeth.
- If left untreated, periodontal bacteria can lead to bone and tooth loss that threatens your foundation. Infected periodontal pockets are usually 4 or more millimeters (mm) in depth.
Infected areas in your gums
The role of your dental healthcare team
The treatment your dental healthcare team selects is designed to:
- Reduce the bacteria causing your infection
- Shrink the size of your periodontal pockets
- Manage your infection to stop it from spreading or becoming more severe
Treatment with scaling and root planing (SRP)
- Scaling removes plaque, tartar, and stains from the surface of teeth
- Planing smoothes the rough areas on the roots of teeth to promote healing
Give your gums a fighting chance
Adding ARESTlN® (minocycline hydrochloride) Microspheres, 1 mg
6 tips to remember after treatment with ARESTIN®
- Don't touch. Avoid touching areas of your gums that your dentist has treated.
- Wait to brush. Wait 12 hours after your treatment with ARESTIN® before brushing your teeth.
- Wait to floss. Do not floss or use toothpicks or any other devices that clean between your teeth for at least 10 days.
- Avoid eating hard, crunchy, or sticky foods for 1 week after treatment.
- Always follow up. Because the bacteria that cause periodontal disease are persistent, the infection can return. please be sure to make follow-up appointments with your dental professional to maintain healthy gums and teeth.
- Keep your scheduled appointments. It is important to keep all of your dental appointments so that your dental professional can re-examine your gums, make sure the infection is under control, and measure the success of your treatment.